How to secure your home
Proper home security not only helps you protect your personal belongings but gives you peace of mind and keeps you and your family safe. Fortunately, there are many reliable home security options nowadays, from do-it-yourself monitoring to advanced professional security systems. In addition, burglaries are becoming less common every year. However, despite declining rates, FBI data shows that burglaries occur about once every 30 seconds in the United States. So, we want to present you with a little guide on how to make your home safer. Most of these measures are quite simple and relatively inexpensive. We hope they’ll help you make your home a safer place. If you are interested in how to secure your home, this article is for you!
What is the cheapest way to secure your home
Where do burglars look first
- It is advisable to avoid hiding valuables in drawers and dressers in the living room, pots and pans, and locked safes that are not attached to the floor or wall, as these are the places thieves look first. Instead, choose less obvious options, such as hiding things in cereal boxes, boxes with pasta, and children's toy boxes.
- Many criminals who serve sentences for burglary when being asked in which room people should keep their assets to avoid being robbed, choose children’s bedrooms. Apparently, many criminals consider that a restricted area.
- Being anxious about getting spotted or caught, burglars wouldn’t want to spend their time checking every corner of your house. That’s why everything that is within their close reach, like drawers and shelves in the hall or living room, usually becomes the first “hot” spot.
- Also, try not to leave your car keys out in the open, especially if your car is parked outside your house. That is one of the first things thieves notice.
- Don’t put any valuable items, like money or important documents, somewhere near the entry. Consider putting them in a safe or at least in a place that is hard to access.
- Most people have a "change" cabinet in the kitchen, where they often keep their keys. It would’ve been better to hide your car and house keys in your food cupboards instead. They probably won't go through all your bags of food. DVD cases are another good place to hide valuables because they are hard to find.
What facilities are needed to keep your home safe
- Alarm Systems
Alarm systems are an effective and quite affordable way to avoid break-ins or vandalism while you’re not in the house.
- Alarm systems don't just alert people about problems. They also act as a deterrent to potential thieves and prevent them from approaching your property. There are several different alarm systems and types of protection that you may want to consider. The simplest form involves having motion sensors that detect movement and send the signal to the system, which in order notifies you. Suppose you want to spend more money for peace of mind. You may purchase more sophisticated models that connect with rapid response teams that will come to check the security of your property when the alarm goes off.
- Security Cameras
Security cameras are one of the most common home security methods for any building, whether a freestanding building or a gated community. They monitor your home and neighborhood 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Choose a high-resolution camera, as it will give you a clear view of any potential criminal event. New cameras can now be accessed from your cell phone, allowing you to monitor your home remotely at all times.
- Security lighting and curtains
Another great way to enhance your home security is to set a timer on your home's lights, so they turn on in the evenings and off when you usually go to bed. Partially close the curtains or pull back the blinds so people can't look in your windows, but at the same time, it doesn't seem like the house is empty during the day.
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
You may also like
What smart locks work with Alexa
A smart lock is an important intelligent home device to consider in these challenging times. With these easy-to-install devices, you may secure your home from anywhere. These locks get even better with Amazon Alexa integration, which allows you to easily ensure everything is locked. Many Alexa-enabled devices are available today and making your home smarter and safer has never been easier. <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> has over 35 years of experience in the Locksmith and Security industry and we would like to help you better understand what a smart lock is and how it works. Let’s look!
What security system works with google home
Modernizing your property and making life more secure is a great idea. Have you ever thought about a smart house? If “yes,” we have good news for you about one of the greatest applications, which can help optimize your home. Thousands of scientists and developers work daily to provide comforts that make our everyday lives easier. After the initial excitement when new revolutionary or semi revolutionary items are new and the price is high. Things settle down to an affordable place so consumers can take part in these new discoveries that add ease and pleasure to their lives. <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> is proud to be a part of this Industry as it helps make your life better. We focus not only on providing professional residential, automotive, commercial locksmith and security services but also on giving people the information they need. This blog will tell you about one of the most helpful apps that may totally change your lifestyle. Let’s take a quick look.
How do home security cameras work
The main reason for using a security camera is to see what’s happening inside your facility and prevent a potential break-in. Whether it’s an office, a house, or an apartment, you have to place all cameras right where they need to be and ensure that all of them work correctly. These are only two of the many details about home or office security cameras. Of course, you can search for the information on your own and try to do everything without someone’s help. However, we can offer you a better option. We want to provide you with a quick yet complete guide on how these cameras work. <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> is happy to assist you anytime a locksmith-related issue or need is ahead of you!