Keep your house secure when selling
You may think there’s nothing dangerous when it comes to house selling. What can happen? However, the period when you’re looking for potential buyers is when your house is the most unprotected. So many strangers enter your property every single day. You never know what their intentions are. In most cases, they’re ordinary people just like you, who are looking for a new house. However, there’s always a risk that some of them might be criminals that want to use the fact that your house is easily accessible.
So, what can you do to protect your home in that unstable period? What are the best security measures you can take? Sure Lock & Key has years of experience in the security industry, so we’ll gladly answer these questions and assist you in securing your home.
How do I prepare my home before I sell it
- De-personalize your home. When you’re putting your house up for sale, it’s important to pick up all the personal belongings you have – documents, money, medication prescriptions, etc. You can store them all in a safe if you have one. If not, give them to someone you trust, like your relatives or friends.
- Keep track of your keys. When showing your place, make sure that your house key, car key and garage key are out of sight. You wouldn’t want anyone stealing them to get inside the house later. Also, if you have a combination lock, ensure that your potential buyers don’t see how you enter the code.
- Don’t show your home alone. It’s always good to bring someone with you. It may seem paranoid, but there’s a slight possibility that someone will attack you.
- Arrange the meetings in advance. Try to avoid any spontaneous home showings. Discuss all the meetings in advance. Find out more about your potential buyers.
- Security systems. That is one of the most reliable ways to secure your home in any situation. They allow you to monitor what’s going on in your house no matter where you are. Also, these systems notify you about any suspicious activity in your area. So, even if you were “lucky” to encounter some criminals, a security system will help you prevent them from breaking in.
How can I protect my home from threats
- First of all, always ensure your doors and windows are closed. An unlocked door is like an invitation to a thief, signaling that your house is an easy target.
- Don’t forget about your garage door because some criminals might use it as an entry point.
- Ensure that your area is well-lit. Most criminals prefer to stay in the dark so that they don’t get noticed.
- Even if you don’t live in the house you put up for sale anymore, try to create an illusion that you’re inside. Turn on the lights from time to time, mow the lawn, empty out your mailbox, etc. That step is quite important because many thieves target empty houses.
- Do not leave your spare keys anywhere thieves can access them.
- Think about installing an alarm system with motion detectors. Most of these systems can be connected to your phone. So, even if you’re away, it’ll notify you about any stranger entering your property.
- Security cameras are always a good idea. They allow you to monitor the property at any time. You can connect them to your phone or tablet. Also, just like the alarm system, many cameras are equipped with motion detectors, so you’ll also receive a notification about any activity.
Monitor external security for the house
You may also like
Making Your Property Safer
Sometimes people think that it’s pointless to make small improvements. Strengthening home or business security might seem an expensive and somewhat complex action. Remember the process does not have to be overbearing. If your goal is to protect your property, you can do it one step at a time. Security upgrades are just so important and the truth is even minor upgrades have a considerable effect in the short and long run. For example, getting yourself a high-security lock may be the most brilliant idea when it comes to your safety. Most pin-tumbler locks, master locks, etc., can be tampered with. This unfortunate feature may make your home attractive to perpetrators. Most professional thieves can recognize different lock types, so they know how well you are protected by only taking a quick look. Let’s take a quick abridged lesson about what high-security locks are and whether you need them. Sure Lock & Key is always ready to give you a hand when challenging locksmith questions appear!
How To Secure Your Home On A Budget
If we can’t feel safe at home, then where can we? Having a safe home may be the most natural desire every person shares. However, cost matters when trying to achieve the required result. Since price may play a significant role, we would like to suggest some shortcuts that will make your home safer and save you money. Sure Lock & Key has over 35 years of experience in the Locksmith and Security industry from which to suggest these tips on how to make your home more secure on a budget. Keep reading!
10 Places To Hide A Spare Car Key
To hide a spare key in case of future loss or lockout is a wise idea, but it has one big flaw. Someone can find your key and get access to your car. So, it’s always up to you whether you’re ready for the risk or not. Sure Lock & Key prepared for you a list of the newest and safest places to hide a car key and some beneficial advice on how to avoid the risk of theft. Just keep reading! Before we start, we want to remember you that no matter what has happened to your original car key, you can always call for emergency locksmith services.