Which type of door lock is best for the front door?
Your front door is essentially the gateway to your home. Not only is your front door designed to provide security, but it is also an essential component of your home’s appearance. Your front door reflects your taste and your personality in a way. The most important thing is that your front door needs to be sturdy enough to keep potential intruders out and durable enough to withstand the bright sun, heavy rain, and all the other challenges the environment can bring. One of the most important parts of the door is the lock. No matter how strong your door may be, if your lock does not provide you with security, then the front door isn't reliable. So, what is the best front door security lock? There are several factors to consider when choosing a lock, and you can learn about them in our article. If you are interested, then read on!
Why should a front door have 2 locks?
- Additional burglary resistance. It’s definitely harder and more time-consuming to open not one but two locks.
- Resistance to lock picking (by credit card or any other way) because the deadbolt has a much greater reach and does not have a sloping edge like the latch.
- Resistance to sawing, since most deadbolts have a freely rotating spindle in the center, which means they are resistant to sawing.
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
What lock should you use on a front door?
- Smart door locks are the newest type of door locks. Their big advantage is that you don’t need a key to open them. So, you don’t have to worry about losing one. There are many ways to operate a smart lock – you may open the door by entering a digital code using your key fob or smartphone. Another advantage these door locks offer is the remote control option.
- Electronic door locks. If you don’t have trust in smart locks, but you still want to have a keyless entry, you might consider an electronic door lock. These locks have a digital keypad, so to open them, you’ll need to enter an accurate combination. With this type of lock, you don’t have to worry about carrying a bundle of keys everywhere. Also, there’s no need to make some spare keys for your family, friends, or neighbors. You can simply provide them with access to your digital locks.
- Deadbolt. This lock type is considered to be the most secure one. These locks are sturdy and really hard to break. They can be single-cylinder or double-cylinder. The second type provides the highest level of security.
- Handle lock for the front door. A popular solution for exterior doors is a front door key lock with handles. It’s a traditional lock that has been used for years, and it is easy to install yourself. It’s an inexpensive choice.
- Lever locks for entry doors. Lever door locks are another great option. They’re much easier to use than door knobs. The price will be a bit higher, but it’s definitely worth the extra investment.
What is the most secure lock for a front door?
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
You may also like
How to change a door lock cylinder
A cylinder is the core of the lock and the place where you insert the key. It is also the part that carries out the most important function that your lock was created for – protecting you, your loved ones and your assets. The cylinder has several pins that shift into place when you put a specific key inside. When people have their locks rekeyed, it actually means that they reset their cylinder. Lock cylinder replacement is one of the most popular services we provide. However, still many people don’t know they have this option and go for a whole lock replacement. Sure Lock & Key is always ready to help you. We are therefore now going to provide you with insights on how to change a door lock cylinder. If you prefer to do everything without help from the outside, you may use our suggestions. Let’s dive in!
5 Reasons To Change A Door Lock
The safety of our homes is certainly our responsibility. Lock maintenance and replacement are core elements to your safety needs. A sudden malfunction or a door lock accident can present a complicated situation. Experience tells us that there are at least 5 reasons that might force a person to change the lock on the door. Having the information needed to deal with these types of situations changes the pressure experienced at the moment and gives you a heads up and direction as to how to proceed. It may also help you avoid the unexpected. Sure Lock & Key is always happy to explain any area of Locksmithing and Security to you as well as explaining why and when you need to change a door lock. So check out this short blog and we will try to give you all the information you may need. If that's good with you let’s get started.
Since the original idea of private space flashed upon somebody’s mind, thousands of manufacturers and craftsmen have attempted to give the world the perfect lock. Years of continuous development, improvement and new inventions have brought us different types of door locks all the way to the present day. In this blog post, you will find information about the most popular lock types, their specifications and valuable tips on using and maintaining them. Sure Lock & Key will gladly be your locksmith encyclopedia. A place where you can get all the information you need!