What kind of lock is best for a sliding door
Sliding doors are the perfect feature to make your house light and attractive. That is because of huge glasses that let the sunshine into your home. Despite the attractiveness and coziness, it is also important to consider security. We can all agree that safety is one of the essential aspects for house owners.
As with other doors, the sliding door is also the first thing in the way of a thief to get inside your house. That's why it should be resistant to any attempt of breakage. Sliding doors are mostly made of glass, which makes them quite accessible. So, it is advisable to consider installing a door lock, which will make them safer. However, what type of door lock is better to choose for sliding doors? Let's figure it out together today.
Types of Sliding Door Locks
- Mortise locks are one of the most popular locks for sliding doors. Their wide usage can be explained because of the low price and decent security level. Mortise locks are installed on the sliding doors' inner side and can be locked only from the inside of the house. However, one of the main issues with mortise locks is their predisposition to getting worn out.
- Keyed locks, as you can suggest from the name, are a type of lock that uses a keyed mechanism. The main advantage of this lock, besides the low price, is the possibility to lock and unlock doors from the inside and outside. This is a great feature for parents whose children might lock themselves from the inside. However, keyed locks are as accessible for burglars because they can still try many methods to pick them.
- Loop locks are also widely used for sliding doors and are among the most durable for this type of door. Loop locks consist of a mounting plate, which is installed on the inner jamb of the door, and a keeper, which is attached to the sliding door. The principle is to make it impossible to open the door from the outside through the locking bar that connects the mounting plate and the guard.
- Sliding track locks are another popular type of lock for sliding doors. Their popularity is explained by their easy installation and affordable price. However, the level of security provided by sliding track locks is often low because of the ability to push off the track and open it. In addition, this lock also can be locked only from the inside of the house.
- Smart locks are the newest type of lock that provides the highest level of security. By the way, smart locks for sliding doors were invented not so long ago but already became one of the most widely used. Even though the price is quite high, it has many benefits. You may easily integrate it with your home security system and make your house even safer.
How to choose the best sliding door lock
You may also like
The Benefits of an Alarm Padlock
Locks have been around for thousands of years. Although it's impressive, the fact that they haven't given way to other inventions indicates their importance. The only change is development and improvement. Today, locks remain one of the most efficient measures for providing your property with the highest security level. However, not all locks are the same. This time, we would like to talk about one of the most secure ones – a padlock. This type of lock is known for its strong construction and ability to resist break-in attempts. Lately, it has met modern technologies and become even more durable and beneficial. An alarm padlock is a perfect measure to make your property safer and more protected, as it combines the strength of the padlock and an additional feature in the form of an alarm. If it sounds interesting to you, then let's take a look at this device's mechanism and its main advantages below.
Are smart locks weatherproof
With the growing popularity of smart locks, more and more people have decided to choose this type of entrance security over traditional ones. Not only are those locks more convenient, but they are also impossible to pick by intruders. However, as time passes, a logical question arises, “Are smart locks weatherproof?” <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> is here to answer it and any other locksmith-related questions and professionally assist you in case of any trouble. So, if you're thinking about installing a smart lock, keep reading to learn more about its features and main benefits.
Can door handles be replaced
There are many reasons why door handles are being replaced. Some people decide to change a handle after a robbery, which is actually highly recommended. Luckily, that is not the main cause of handle replacement. Usually, the most popular reason for changing knobs or handles is their malfunctioning, sagging, or emergency, like a key stuck in the lock. However, some people wisely decide to change worn-out handles over time, even though they might seem to be in great condition. Whatever the reason is, it is possible to replace a door handle. The only question left is, who will be doing that? Can you do it yourself, or maybe you want it to be done by someone else? <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> is ready to assist you if you decide to ask for professional help.