What is a Jimmy proof lock
One of the best ways to increase your home security is a Jimmy proof lock. Being installed on the inner part of the door, this locking mechanism is almost impossible to access from the outside. That’s why many people choose this lock type for their front door. It can’t be picked with the most common picking devices and definitely can’t be opened with the help of a credit card. Jimmy proof locks are composed of solid materials, so they’re considered to be extremely reliable. They can withstand various attacks, like drilling or bumping and are often equipped with bolts that are resistant to prying.
So, if you want to provide your home with an extra layer of protection, consider installing this type of lock. Sure Lock & Key will gladly assist you with that. Now let’s look at some of the features this lock has and learn more about the installation process.
How do you install a jimmy proof deadbolt lock
- First, find all the tools you need for the installation. Some of the basic tools are a hammer, masking tape, a drill, a center punch, a hole saw, a straightedge, a screwdriver and pliers.
- Define where you want to place the lock and mark it on the door frame. You may use a surface mount or mortise strike to mount it on the frame.
- Then, mark the spot for the cylinder and drill the hole for it. Second, mark the spots for your screws. Then you'll need a drill to make the holes.
- Measure the thickness of your door to define the needed length of the tailpiece and the screws. Cut them with the help of pliers if needed.
- Now you're ready to place the cylinder inside. Line it up with a back plate and attach it with the mounting screws. After you're done, you can mount the deadbolt to the door using the other pair of screws and a screwdriver.
- Last, you'll need to mount the strike plate on the side.