What is a Jimmy proof lock
One of the best ways to increase your home security is a Jimmy proof lock. Being installed on the inner part of the door, this locking mechanism is almost impossible to access from the outside. That’s why many people choose this lock type for their front door. It can’t be picked with the most common picking devices and definitely can’t be opened with the help of a credit card. Jimmy proof locks are composed of solid materials, so they’re considered to be extremely reliable. They can withstand various attacks, like drilling or bumping and are often equipped with bolts that are resistant to prying.
So, if you want to provide your home with an extra layer of protection, consider installing this type of lock. Sure Lock & Key will gladly assist you with that. Now let’s look at some of the features this lock has and learn more about the installation process.
How do you install a jimmy proof deadbolt lock
- First, find all the tools you need for the installation. Some of the basic tools are a hammer, masking tape, a drill, a center punch, a hole saw, a straightedge, a screwdriver and pliers.
- Define where you want to place the lock and mark it on the door frame. You may use a surface mount or mortise strike to mount it on the frame.
- Then, mark the spot for the cylinder and drill the hole for it. Second, mark the spots for your screws. Then you'll need a drill to make the holes.
- Measure the thickness of your door to define the needed length of the tailpiece and the screws. Cut them with the help of pliers if needed.
- Now you're ready to place the cylinder inside. Line it up with a back plate and attach it with the mounting screws. After you're done, you can mount the deadbolt to the door using the other pair of screws and a screwdriver.
- Last, you'll need to mount the strike plate on the side.
How do you change a wheel cylinder lock
How to fix a Jimmy proof lock
You may also like
How to change a door lock cylinder
A cylinder is the core of the lock and the place where you insert the key. It is also the part that carries out the most important function that your lock was created for – protecting you, your loved ones and your assets. The cylinder has several pins that shift into place when you put a specific key inside. When people have their locks rekeyed, it actually means that they reset their cylinder. Lock cylinder replacement is one of the most popular services we provide. However, still many people don’t know they have this option and go for a whole lock replacement. Sure Lock & Key is always ready to help you. We are therefore now going to provide you with insights on how to change a door lock cylinder. If you prefer to do everything without help from the outside, you may use our suggestions. Let’s dive in!
Smart Locks VS. Traditional Locks
There’s still no agreement on which lock is the best. The answer always lies somewhere between “the one which is the most secure”, “the one you prefer” and their respective costs. However, we’re here to provide you with the information about these lock types from a professional point of view so that you can make an intelligent choice. Let’s figure out why getting rid of traditional locks is rather a wise idea and also explain what a smart lock is. Sure Lock & Key is here to advise and clarify any questions about locksmithing as well as to provide the professional services as they become necessary!
7 Tips From Professionals On How To Avoid Getting Locked Out
Lockouts are part of locksmiths’ everyday routine. Probably, we’re unlocking a door while you’re reading this blog post. It’s our job, but we perfectly understand that such a situation causes you lots of stress, so we want to give you some tips to minimize the possibility itself. But you may ask “Is it even possible to avoid the possibility of being locked?” We are afraid no one can say ‘yes’ without lying. But there are some useful tricks to reduce the chances of being locked out. Stay with Sure Lock & Key to be safe and ready for every locksmith issue that may happen!