Most common door lock problems
There are so many different reasons why your door lock might not work properly. Sometimes it's a result of poor maintenance, and other times a problem can occur unexpectedly. Either way, there's nothing good about non-functional door locks. First of all, it makes it impossible to enter or leave the building. If your lock is broken or your key got stuck, you have no option but to stay there, with an unlocked door. Most of these lock issues happen when we're in a rush and have no time to resolve them. So, what should you do if something like that happens to you?
As a company with years of experience in the locksmith industry, Sure Lock & Key knows everything about door lock problems. We are happy to share our knowledge with you! If you decide that you need a professional locksmith's help, we'll gladly provide you with our services.
Why is my door lock not working
- Misaligned door lock: This means that the lock is not functioning properly because some of its parts are not aligned correctly the way they should be. It might be the bolt or the latch that doesn't line up with the strike plate, which makes it impossible to close the door.
- The door lock doesn't turn: There might be a few reasons for that. You may simply have used the wrong key. However, in many cases, the cause can be more complicated, such as some problems with the internal mechanism. To resolve that quickly, you might need emergency locksmith services.
- Broken Key: Another common problem you might encounter is accidentally breaking your key while locking the door. That's not a pleasant experience because not only will you have to deal with key extraction but also with a lock replacement if the lock is damaged.
- Loose door lock: This problem is almost impossible to avoid. All locks eventually become worn out over the years. However, you can delay this process by maintaining your lock properly.
- Jammed lock or latches: One of the main causes of this problem is poor maintenance. Your lock may simply be clogged with dirt and dust. Sometimes, it might happen because some parts deteriorate.
- The entire cylinder turns: Usually, it happens when your set screw becomes loose.
Why won't my door unlock with a key
- It might be because your lock is all dirty and dusty. Your key might simply get stuck in the lock because of it.
- Another reason is rust. If you don't pay attention to your locks' condition and don't clean them regularly, they might become rusty and the result is that your key won't turn.
- It might get stuck in the lock if it's freezing cold outside and some water gets into your lock.
- If you just got new keys, they might have been poorly cut and that's why you can't turn them properly.
- Your key got stuck in the lock because of misaligned pins. In that case, you might need rekeying.
- Your key keeps on turning all the way around because the lock cylinder is malfunctioning.
- Another reason why your key turns but doesn't lock or unlock the door is that the lock was not installed properly.
How do you fix a jammed door latch
You may also like
5 Reasons To Change A Door Lock
The safety of our homes is certainly our responsibility. Lock maintenance and replacement are core elements to your safety needs. A sudden malfunction or a door lock accident can present a complicated situation. Experience tells us that there are at least 5 reasons that might force a person to change the lock on the door. Having the information needed to deal with these types of situations changes the pressure experienced at the moment and gives you a heads up and direction as to how to proceed. It may also help you avoid the unexpected. Sure Lock & Key is always happy to explain any area of Locksmithing and Security to you as well as explaining why and when you need to change a door lock. So check out this short blog and we will try to give you all the information you may need. If that's good with you let’s get started.
Why Does Society Need Locksmiths
Over the last couple of years, the world has changed a lot. New technologies emerge every day in all spheres of our lives, including locks and keys and locksmiths certainly are part of these recent changes. We’re at the intermediate level between new locksmith and security technologies, their appearance and their implementation. We test them, analyze them and, after all, find out how to improve them. That is only one part of our job. There’s another, more grounded one. Let’s take a look at them to understand better why locksmiths are important and what the locksmith profession is. Sure Lock & Key is happy to be your locksmith guide! Let’s begin!
Tesla Car Key Replacement
People tend to underestimate car key replacement until they find themselves in a situation where you need to get help to be able to open and use your car. Someone believes that technical progress can protect them against different unpleasant accidents such as car key issues. On the contrary, the more technically advanced your car key, the more trouble its replacement can cause. Unfortunately, all car keys are exposed to damages of different kinds. Moreover, all car keys are exposed to thefts. That’s when you can’t do without professional services. So, let’s figure out what is there to know to get replacement car keys for your car. Sure Lock & Key is here to help you whether you need information or a new key! Being a highly modern and exceptionally innovative car, Tesla has key types and an entry system that seriously differs from other cars. An old-school mechanical key evolved into key fobs and card keys with lots of functions that ease owners’ lives. You can open and lock your car when your hands are full of packages without even using a handle. Just step near the vehicle and voila, the door is opened. Also, as you can see, to be able to provide you with such a key a locksmith has to be skilled and trained. And to find a suitable one can take some time since such keys became our routine only recently. However, Sure Lock & Key can help you with all Tesla keys for all Tesla models, including Tesla Model 3, Tesla Model X, Tesla Model Y, etc.