Why Is Security Important
Who could have imagined our lives would change so drastically during the last two years? Our homes replaced dozens of the places we used to visit every day. Making your home your castle may be a great idea and you've probably already made some moves in that direction. Including some necessary actions that make your home more protected. However, only an integrated approach is efficient. You may consider using a security audit to find all the breaches and handle all the potential security issues, even those tiny ones. A security audit might be a new concept for you, but it is worth your attention. Sure Lock & Key is more than happy to help you understand what a security audit is, how it works and when you may need it. Please read on…
Why Do We Need A Security Audit
A Home Security Audit. What To Expect
- Home security habits (locking up your doors and windows upon leaving). That’s the part that’s up to you. Checking whether everything is locked may be annoying, but it’s worthwhile. Locking a door before you leave is actually the point where security starts, it’s a cornerstone of the building’s safety. It may sound ridiculous, but a significant part of burglaries happens because the door was not locked.
- Outside security (fences, lighting, trees and much more). This step and all the next ones are performed by professionals. The bigger your building and land are, the more work needs to be done.
- The Door system (which includes locks, door frames, strike plates, etc.). However, there are still some tips on maintaining your locks by yourself without using professional assistance.
- Windows (basement, double-hung windows, french, etc.).
- Garages (windows, interior door, garage door). Nearly 20% of all residential burglaries occur in garages, as many average residents keep valuables there.
How To Add A Sense Of Security To Your Home
- It is highly important to have home perimeter lighting. Intruders are less likely to target areas where they are easily observed.
- Installing motion detector lights both inside and outside your home is a great idea. You can program your lights to switch on automatically when you are away, giving the impression that someone is home.
- If you have trees and shrubs that block the view from the inside, think about trimming or removing them.
- Make sure trees will not provide access to your upper floor windows.
- If you can see valuables inside your home from the street, so can burglars. It’s better to have your windows equipped with blinds, curtains, or drapes and then use them appropriately. Check whether all perimeter doors provide protection.
- All your entryways have to be secured. Don’t forget about basement windows if you have them. You may replace it with polycarbonate material.
- Secure your garage, especially if it’s connected to your home. A garage door itself might be vulnerable, especially if it’s broken or malfunctions. Think about a smart garage door opener, which allows you to close and open the door remotely. The door that leads from the garage to your home can also be a weak point. In this case, consider installing a smart lock.
- If you’re going to park your car outside, make sure the area is well-lit. Additional security can be provided by devices that allow you to start your vehicle from a safe distance.
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
You may also like
Additional Security For Your Home Via Smart Devices
There’s no limit to improvement, especially if it concerns your house safety. There always will be something you could add, change or upgrade. New security inventions surface every day. Naturally, following each invention and variations of them might be complicated and time consuming. That’s why Sure Lock & Key put together this blog post for you. Inside you will find interesting and useful information concisely laid out to help you clarify security-related issues and hopefully provide some good answers. If not, remember that we’re always a call away to assist you!
Home Security For Older People
We all want our home to be an impregnable castle. However, this goal may be harder to reach for the elderly. Older people may see the world as it was when they were young. They might not be aware of all the modern security possibilities. As many seniors live alone, they might become easy victims of burglars. That’s why it is essential to help them with home safety. Unfortunately, a break-in occurs every 26 seconds in the US. Moreover, homes with no security measures are five times more likely to become targets of criminals. Sure Lock & Key, provides locksmith and security services, coast to coast, for more than 35 years. We have become very well versed in matters that pertain to making buildings safe and secure and have constantly developed our skills while helping thousands of customers. We would like to provide you with tips in order to best help those who are elderly in your life. The goal is to protect their homes against criminals and theft. Let’s take a quick look.
The Alarm System History Guide
Feeling safe and protected is one of Mankind's most essential needs. No wonder we have been so concerned about it throughout history. Today, we’re lucky to have all these magnificent state-of-the-art security technologies, but our grandparents didn’t. How has the security industry developed so greatly during the last few decades? What has changed it and shaped it? This Sure Lock & Key short blog will give you a quick understanding of home security, its importance, and why shortly it will become even more important and definitely more advanced!