Is it cheaper to buy new locks or rekey
There are many reasons why your old locks can’t be used anymore. You might need to change your locks if they get worn out and start malfunctioning. Otherwise, they won’t provide your house with decent security. It’s essential to change the locks in case of a break-in as well. After the criminal messed with your lock, it won’t be as secure anymore. Another common reason why people want to change their locks is moving. You never know who has access to the original locks, so it’s better to play it safe.
If your lock is fully broken, you’ll need to replace it. However, in other cases, you might rekey them. So, let’s define which way is better and which is more cost-effective.
When should I rekey the locks
- If you’re moving into a new house and like how the original locks look, you may rekey them. That way, you will increase your home security without changing the exterior.
- If your lock is not working properly because of the pins malfunctioning, you might rekey it as well. As we already mentioned, the process of rekeying is all about changing the pins, so it’s definitely suitable to resolve this problem.
- Another reason why you might need to rekey a lock is if your key got lost or stolen. You never know if someone won’t use it to get inside your house.
- Also, if your house is equipped with beautiful antique locks and you don’t want to replace them, rekeying is the best decision.
Pros and cons of rekeying locks
- First of all, rekeying is less time-consuming than replacement. The process is much easier, as the technician won’t have to take the entire lock apart.
- You won’t have to change the appearance of your house when rekeying the lock, as only the inner parts are replaced.
- Another huge advantage of rekeying is its cost-effectiveness. It’ll not be as expensive as lock replacement, as you won’t need to change as many parts.
When should I change the locks
- If your lock gets broken and it’s not functional anymore, it’s a sign to replace it. We all know that a broken lock is completely useless in terms of security.
- Another reason to replace your door locks is if you want to upgrade your house exterior.
- If you want to enhance your home security – lock replacement is one of the best ways. For example, you may equip your house with a qualitative deadbolt. Also, consider replacing your old mechanical lock with a new digital one. These locks are super convenient and they’ll provide your house with a high level of security.