How to secure your trailer from being stolen
A lot of people use trailers for the transportation of their goods or cargo. This type of vehicle may be pretty easy to steal if you don’t secure it well enough. It is unpowered, so the thief can just attach it to their car. That’s not a situation you might want to deal with. So, the question is, how to secure your trailer from being stolen? There are different ways of protecting your vehicle, for some of them, you will need the help of a professional locksmith. However, there still are ways to secure your trailer by yourself. You can go through thousands of blogs and articles to find out what can be done and what can be improved, but who can guarantee that they contain the correct information? The risk is too high as you could lose your trailer without the option of getting it back. Most owners don't even want to imagine this even as a worst possible scenario. There are several methods to increase a security level, but it's hard to check whether they come from reliable sources. Sure Lock & Key assists customers not only with servicing you through our highly trained professionals but also with the valuable information you can use before calling for professional help and also once you have decided that you have no choice and must seek a solution from a registered locksmith. Keep reading!
Trailer theft security devices
- First of all, don’t leave your trailer in easily accessible places. When something is in the open, it’s like a piece of cake for the thief.
- You may put some significant marks on your trailer. It’s good to use bright neon colors for that purpose. Most thieves don’t want to attract much attention, so they probably won’t even get close to your trailer.
- Also, you might want to put chains all over your vehicle and fix them to some anchors. Getting rid of them is time-consuming, so the thief will think twice before trying.
- Another intelligent option is getting trailer anti-theft devices. Let's have a look at the most common samples to understand how you can use them:
- Another option you might consider is a GPS. It is not really useful for preventing theft, but it can be used if your vehicle gets stolen. Basically, it allows you to track any movement of your trailer. So, it will make it much easier to find it.
Can you get theft-proof trailer locks
- Hitch locks can be put on your hitch pin. Usually, they are used when your trailer is still attached to the car. If you have this type of lock, it will be really hard for a thief to remove the pin and disconnect the trailer from your vehicle.
- Tongue locks serve the same purpose but are used when the trailer is not connected to any vehicle. They are placed on the coupler of your trailer. With that type of lock, it will be almost impossible for anyone to attach your trailer to the car.
- Wheel locks can be put on the lug nuts or directly around the tire. They are really difficult to break and most thieves won’t even bother trying.
- If you have a spare tire for your trailer, you may also consider securing it. For that, you might use a spare tire lock.
- A wheel clamp is a device that you can put on one of the trailer wheels and it will block its movement. So even if someone can easily access your trailer, they simply won’t be able to move it.
- A latch pin lock. This type of lock slides through the trailer's latch and locks it in place. Once it is closed, the thief won't be able to separate the trailer from the vehicle. You will however, be required to keep a key on your person or some secretive place nearby. Whether you are not sure your keys are in the right place, follow a simple guide to carrying keys.
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
You may also like
How To Secure Your Home On A Budget
If we can’t feel safe at home, then where can we? Having a safe home may be the most natural desire every person shares. However, cost matters when trying to achieve the required result. Since price may play a significant role, we would like to suggest some shortcuts that will make your home safer and save you money. Sure Lock & Key has over 35 years of experience in the Locksmith and Security industry from which to suggest these tips on how to make your home more secure on a budget. Keep reading!
Making Your New Home Secure
Buying the first house is always an exciting moment. We congratulate you regarding this achievement and wish you all the best! As you know moving into a new home will introduce you to many challenges. One of them may be your new property's safety and security. That’s the part we would be glad to help you with. It’s what we do. Sure Lock & Key is a locksmith company with over 35 years of experience in the Locksmith and Security industry. During this time, we have helped thousands of people to secure their new homes. Now we want to share our knowledge and experience with you. In this blog post, you will find our suggestions on why it’s so important to change locks even before you move in and why your front door lock is the first level of protection. We hope you will find the information we share with you here to be helpful.
Making Your Apartment Secure With Professionals
A sense of security is one of the basic needs people need and in our modern societies, expect. Fulfilling it, we create a base for our personal growth and development. When we feel safe, we can be ourselves, relax, and work without constantly looking over our shoulders. Our private space, our territory, is untouchable, at least it should be. So what are the rules needed to be followed in order to properly answer the question of how to prevent home burglary, especially with respect to apartments? Different surveys report that thieves' approach robbing residential houses differently from apartments. Sure Lock & Key wants to provide you with tips that will work for your particular situation, so you won’t need to concoct something new on your own. We put together our experience as well as our customers whose apartments were unfortunately intruded upon. They are sad stories with which to learn from. Finally we have come up with a list of suggestions on how to secure an apartment. Let’s secure your home!