How much does it cost to get a new car key
Price is always an essential factor in choosing one company over another. In the Locksmith industry, costs are generally standard, however with many specific exceptions. Locksmith prices depend on many different factors, so the price will be different for each type of service. With all this being said we, at Sure Lock & Key believe that the price must be fairly set, in all circumstances and that clients should understand what really affects the cost of a particular service. This is true especially regarding the most popular client service cost request, which is car key replacement costs.
Let’s talk about car keys
Car keys have become sophisticated devices in the last few years. As a result, car key replacement isn’t simple anymore. Today, many cars have proximity keys. This type of key allows you to open your vehicle by touching the door handle and start the car without having to insert the key blade into the ignition. Another common device is a transponder key, a key equipped with a special chip, to prevent invasion or theft. Many modern car keys don’t even look like the keys we’re accustomed to. Each car is unique and requires an individual approach, specific knowledge, experience, and appropriate tools. So, now you can, more clearly, understand the difficulty in answering the question of, how much does it cost to get a key made for your car? Nevertheless, let's try to figure it out!
Request A Callback
How much is it to replace a car key?
The question of pricing in the Locksmith industry always depends on many factors. We already know that the car key replacement price depends on the type of key you need. The more technically difficult the key is, the more it will cost. But here are some other factors that can influence the final price.
- The make of your car. Some cars by their reputation are inherently more expensive and hence repairs are more expensive as well. For example, if you’re an owner of a Lexus or a BMW, you probably would pay more money for new key programming. Also, the price may vary according to the model of your vehicle. Some models are so rare that not all locksmith companies have appropriate machinery to cut them, hence greater the cost.
- The final price also depends on the year of your car. Older cars may just need a simple key that can be cut from the standard key block. Newer cars need a transponder key and of course, this key won’t work without the proper programming.
- Finally a not so obvious factor that can affect the car key replacement cost is whether you use a local locksmith or not. It is better to choose a local locksmith to be sure that the price won’t be too high because if a locksmith has to spend lots of time to reach your destination you will see it in your final cost. Sure Lock & Key, with over 35 years of experience was founded by four Brothers with a strong and honest work ethic. We have therefore been Blessed and have become a nationwide company with offices from coast to coast. We would be happy to help you with any of your Locksmith and Security needs. So please check us out, you will probably find that we are one of your local locksmiths!
How much does it cost to get a car key made without an original one
If you don’t have the original key, you can still get a new car key replacement. However, only a skilled locksmith will be able to make and program a new one. You will also need to provide the technician with information pertaining to your car’s make, year, and model.
So back to the original question “How much does it cost to make a car key when you don’t have an original one?” The answer depends on all the variables listed above as well as how much information you have regarding your car that is available to you. If you have all the necessary information then it will not take a long time for the key to be programmed and you’ll be ready to go. However, if the information is not available it will obviously take longer and since time is money, as they say, and it applies in this situation, time is certainly a cost element that is best to avoid. Meaning the longer the process the larger the cost. Hopefully, the cost will be much less because you will have all the information readily available.
How to save money on car key replacement
As you can see, a new car key-making process can cost a lot. Still, there’s something you can do to spend less. Let's look at all the options.
- You can call your dealer to get a new car key, but usually, their services are more expensive than hiring a locksmith. So, it’s more economical to call a locksmith.
- You should find a local locksmith so you won’t overpay for additional costs.
- As we mentioned above, you should prepare your car’s make, model, year, and other details to save time on key cutting.
- And last but not least, you can make a spare car key now and avoid repeating the same frustrating and expensive trouble in the future.
Sure Lock & Key will gladly help you, just give us a call and we will be by your door, very quickly!
Why choose us?
Sure Lock & Key as one of the best-rated locksmith companies, aims to provide customers with the most professional house, car, and commercial locksmith services at honest prices. Having 35 years of experience in the industry, we always aim to be your best locksmith partner. Rely on us and make sure that we are the best.
Fair pricing policy
A team of professionals
24/7 customer care team
An individual approach
you may also like
What Can I Do If I Lock My Keys In The Car
Do you know that terrible feeling when you realize that your keys are in the car, and you’re not? You’re trying to open the car, but it’s too late. It’s already got locked. The situation is millions of times worse if your kid or dog is inside. You have to stay cold-blooded, don’t panic. There still are a couple of things you can try even if you’re not a professional locksmith. And here we’re going to share them with you because Sure Lock & Key! wants you to stay safe!
January 26, 2022
Can A Locksmith Make A New Key Just From The Lock?
There are lots of methods to make a new key. And depending on your case, a locksmith will choose the best one. Very often our customers face the situation where they need to get a new key just from the lock. It’s more complicated than usual duplication, but still possible and easily accessible if the locksmith knows what to do. Sure Lock & Key is always here whether you need a new key or the information on how to need it!
January 20, 2022
Porsche Car Key Replacement
Car key replacement isn’t the first thing that appears in our minds when we hear such words as “comfort” or “safety” until you lose your last car key or break it. But the person who has dealt with it at least once knows how important it is to be able to get help when you need it. Let’s check out what you need to know to get a replacement car key for your Porsche quickly and successfully!
October 12, 2021