All about fireproof safes
Unforeseen situations and emergencies occur all the time and they’re almost impossible to avoid or predict. A fire, flood or some other unpleasant accident may strike you at any time. To avoid disastrous consequences these situations might bring, you might have to act beforehand.
One of the first measures you can take to protect your valuable assets from damage is getting a fireproof safe. In case a fire strikes your building, at least some of the most important things will be protected against its influence. However, how to choose the best fireproof safe? What should you take into account? Sure Lock & Key has years of experience in the security industry and we’ll gladly answer these questions and share our knowledge with you.
How long will a fireproof safe last in a fire
Do fireproof safes protect documents
- First of all, define the size and capacity of your potential safe and decide where you want to place it.
- Check if it was tested by the UL laboratory and learn more about its fire rating (they might resist high temperatures from 30 up to 120 minutes).
- To choose a safe with a proper fire rating, you’ll need to determine what you want to place there. For example, if you want to use it for documents, make sure it can withstand more than 350 F degrees.
- Pay attention to the lock you choose for your fireproof safe. Consider getting one that can resist fire as well. Also, it would be better to use professional, safe locksmith services to assist you with the installation.
Which fire safe is the best for a home
- SentrySafe SFW123GDC Fireproof Waterproof Safe with Digital Keypad
This safe can withstand temperatures as high as 1700 °F for 60 minutes and a fall from 15 feet. Moreover, it’s also waterproof, so even a flood won’t damage your assets. It is equipped with a combination batteries-operated lock, which may be considered a disadvantage if regular maintenance and checking whether the batteries are okay aren’t for you. As additional protection, the safe contains a small drawer inside, which can be opened with the main lock emergency key.
- Gardall Safe Corporation Fire and Burglary Safe
Just like the previous one, this safe can withstand up to an hour at 1700 °F. This type of safe comes in all different sizes.Moreover, you can also choose the type of lock you like the best. Besides being fireproof as well as waterproof, the Gardall Safe is tested for burglary resistance. Its biggest, and probably the only disadvantage, is its price.
- Sports Afield Sanctuary Platinum Series 11.25 in. Tall Fire/Water Proof Safe
This safe has outer and inner compartments; both have different fireproof ratings. Your belongings stored in the outer lockbox will endure up to an hour at 1800 °F, while placed in the inner compartment can endure up to 120 minutes at 1800 °F. Also, Sanctuary Platinum Series will keep your assets safe in water as well. The safe is equipped with a digital keypad lock, but you will get physical keys in case of an emergency. The great advantage of this safe is a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
The best places to put a fireproof safe
- Consider placing your safe in a location that is not easily visible, such as inside a closet, behind a bookshelf, or in a hidden room.
- You can mount it inside the concrete wall or under the floor to provide it with a higher level of protection.
- Installing your safe in the basement can help protect it from fire damage, as fire tends to rise. Make sure the basement is dry and well-ventilated and that the safe is bolted to the floor.
- If you have a detached garage, this can be a good spot for a fireproof safe. However, be aware that garages are often targeted by thieves, so you'll need to take extra precautions to secure the safe.
- Installing your safe on an upper floor can help protect it from flood damage, as well as from some types of fire damage.
Are all steel safes fireproof
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
You may also like
How To Choose The Best Safe For Home
Not so simple. Choosing a safe today is substantially different than it was anytime through history. It really is not just different, it's quite difficult. Why? Simply because the technology has changed and totally elongated how and what a safe can be used for. The whole format, options, design and placement strategies have made the answer to this question very difficult. However, Sure Lock & Key believes that a safe, today, is truly a magnificent item that will give you more peace of mind than ever before. We don’t want the hard choice to stop people from getting one. That’s why we have put together this short but comprehensive explanation about the different types of safe locks to help you choose a home safe. Let’s take a look!
The Best Possible Safe
When buying a safe, like anything else, we want to get the maximum deal. Safes can be quite complicated. It may be hard to find a safe that can cover all your needs simply because the slightest detail might change the entire choice of a particular safe. Let's just say that a perfect safe for your friend’s needs may be totally useless for yours. Another obstacle is that there are so many safes on the market today that you will need to spend a lot of time understanding their advantages, disadvantages, functions, features, etc. That’s why we prepared a guide to help you find the best safe for your present needs. Sure Lock & Key is happy to help by making your complex decisions easier! If you have the time, keep reading and we will try our hardest to reach the answers you seek!
The benefits of an electronic safe - something you may not know
Aesthetically, A digital safe differs from the classic models, mostly because of the lock complexion. Given several options to secure money, documents, or other valuables, a safe with an electronic lock significantly increases security. Unlike mechanical lock safes, those models keep owners away from several problems. You don't need a key to unlock your safe because now you have a digital lock with a combination. It's not the only reason to choose an electronic digital safe. Keep reading this post and we, Sure Lock & Key, will provide you with a number of important advantages regarding electronic safes.