Restore Your Antique And Old Locks
A lot of us still use old locks and that’s all and well. So why would someone replace a lock that is still in working order? They usually have their own vibe, unique aesthetic, which modern locks can only be jealous of. However, nothing can last forever, especially the stuff we use daily. Sometimes, using an old lock may mean walking on a wire. You never can tell when something might go wrong. Even if your antique or old-fashioned locks keep serving you faithfully, they can use some help to last even longer. Sure Lock & Key prepared some useful tips that will help you enjoy your antique locks as long as possible. Let’s dive in!
Restore The Antique Lock Yourself
- Remove the knob. The set screw is located at the base of the knob. To release the knob’s screw, use a screwdriver. Remove the knob from the spindle by turning it slightly. A spindle is a small rod that runs from one knob to the next.
- Remove this spindle. Then, pull the handle from the front of the door and free the spindle from the hole.
- Clean the lock face. Score the gap between the locking mechanism and the door with a knife or blade. This will help free the lock and remove paint that may have peeled off the wood when the lock is removed.
- Remove the lock case by unscrewing two screws in the lock face.
- Open the lock case. When unscrewing the lock case, be as careful as possible because some pieces may spring out.
- Take a picture of the lock mechanism before doing anything. Because it’s an old lock, it may be a one-of-a-kind piece, and you might not be able to find a scheme to reassemble it.
- Take apart the lock’s components. Press the deadbolt’s gate up to the top of the lock. The next step is to release the tension in the spring until the gate can be removed from the pin.
- Clean the lock face. Steel wool can be used to clean paint from the lock face.
- Restore the lock case and components. All of the parts should be cleaned and sprayed with penetrating oil.
- Polish the thumb latch. Also, polish each component with steel wool.
- Assemble the lock.
- Replace the latch spring. It is preferable to replace the latch spring, to keep the lock working securely. Sure Lock & Key locksmiths can assist you in finding the right one.
- Close the lock case. Using a screwdriver, hold the lock’s components in place. After you release the screwdriver, the latch should release.
- Before reinstalling the lock, make sure it works properly.
- Reinstall the lock. If the lock case doesn’t slide easily, you can use a rubber mallet.
Tips On Restoring Antique Finish On Door Locks
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
You may also like
Oldsmobile Car Key Replacement
There are situations where professional services are the only way to minimize the stress we’re facing. Car key replacement is definitely one of them. If you’ve never dealt with it, you can be unaware of what options and opportunities are available. So keep reading! Sure Lock & Key is here to explain everything in detail.
Importance Of Timely Screen Door Lock Replacement
One may think that since a screen door is designed to protect a home from insects, it’s not a big deal if it doesn’t close properly. But does this make sense ? Sure Lock & Key is a locksmith company with over 35 years of experience in the industry. So believe us, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. A double lock can sometimes be very persuasive in making a burglar, think twice! So don’t underestimate your screen door and its role in your safety. Let’s find out why it’s crucial to have a fully functional lock even though it’s only a screen door.
Smart Locks VS. Traditional Locks
There’s still no agreement on which lock is the best. The answer always lies somewhere between “the one which is the most secure”, “the one you prefer” and their respective costs. However, we’re here to provide you with the information about these lock types from a professional point of view so that you can make an intelligent choice. Let’s figure out why getting rid of traditional locks is rather a wise idea and also explain what a smart lock is. Sure Lock & Key is here to advise and clarify any questions about locksmithing as well as to provide the professional services as they become necessary!