Advantages and disadvantages of digital safes
Since technological advances became part of the security industry, the competition between digital devices and standard types of security, such as locks, keys, and now safes, has become a part of an endless comparison, where every small detail counts. There is a lot of information that you might not find when you research digital safes and their locks, so there are many different questions you might have: How do these mechanisms work? What are their weak points? Are they better than traditional safes? There are many different opinions on this topic, but it’s always best to get your answers directly from reliable sources. If you want to find out more about the functions of digital safes and their advantages and disadvantages, it’s a good idea to ask a professional. Sure Lock & Key is a nationwide locksmith company with 35 years of experience. We are ready to provide you with any information about digital safes you might desire.
What is a digital safe lock
Advantages of electronic safe lock
- Reliability. This may be a controversial statement, but locks that operate with computers and electronic chips have fewer chances of becoming worn out. Also, they can’t be picked because they simply don’t have a keyhole.
- Easy to use: You just need to press a few buttons on the keypad, and voila, your door opens. Even if you forget the combination, some models are designed to reset an old combination and create a new one.
- Protection from thieves: Criminals constantly monitor progress in the security industry and develop new methods to try to bypass the system. They may use special devices to guess a code and open the safe. However, where is the guarantee that they will get the right code after the first try? After a few unsuccessful attempts, the lock will be blocked. Moreover, if your safe is equipped with a Dual Control mode, thieves will have to deal with two different combinations that may have completely different sequences.
- Total control: As the owner, you have complete control over how you want to use the device. You can change the number of codes, disable some of them, or add new ones. If you have doubts about some individuals who have access to the safe, you can perform an audit to track when the locks were used and who used them. If you have trouble operating your digital home safe, you can always ask the manufacturer or a professional Locksmith if the manufacturer is not reachable, for help.
Disadvantages of electronic safe locks
- Price: Every time people choose between mechanical and digital safes, they compare the prices. Electronic devices are expensive, mostly because of all these chips and mechanisms implemented inside the construction. If you are looking for a brand new digital safe, keep in mind that an average model is approximately $100 more than the mechanical one.
- Battery replacement: As we mentioned above, the keypad in the digital safe runs with a battery. These batteries need to be replaced occasionally. Most safes now have a notification system, so users will get notifications about the battery status. Even if your battery dies, the combination can be restored.
- Poor resistance to water and chemical damage: Safe owners need to be careful while choosing a place for their electronic safes. Even a small amount of liquid (water, soda, chemicals for washing) could cause serious damage. That’s why it’s essential to keep the safe dry and not allow any liquid to get inside the micro schemes.