The town of Litchfield, the former county seat of Litchfield County, is located in the northwestern part of the state. It was incorporated in 1719, and until the end of the century, Litchfield became the commercial and cultural center of the region. Local industry included many mills, blacksmith shops, farms, etc. The first Law School in the country was opened in the town in 1784. A few years later, the town became home to Litchfield Female Academy, one of the first nation's schools dedicated to higher education for girls. Today, Litchfield is a small residential community, a perfect destination for people seeking New England charm.