The town of Berlin is located in Hartford County, the geographical center of the state is located within the town limits. Originally known as the Great Swamp Society, the town was incorporated in 1785. The economy of Berlin’s early years was developed by blacksmiths, mills, and farms. In the middle of the 18th century, the first tinware business was established by Irish immigrants Edward and William Pattison. Nowadays, Berlin is both an industrial and residential town, including three distinct areas: Kensington, East Berlin, and Berlin Center.