What is the intercom in a house
Today, there are so many security devices you can use to protect your home from burglars or any other threats. You can choose between various lock types – mechanical and electronic ones. Also, you can equip your house with a security system that has cameras, alarms and motion sensors.
Another popular device that is really convenient and pretty affordable is a home intercom. These simple devices allow you to identify your visitors without opening the door. That way, you can avoid unwanted guests. Today we want to talk about various types of home intercoms, how they work and their pros and cons. So, if you want to learn more about this security device, keep reading.
What is a home intercom
Types of home intercom
- One of the most popular types is a wireless intercom system. These devices are small and portable, so you can easily move them if needed. Usually, they provide the signal by using radio frequency.
- Another type that is commonly used is a wired intercom. So, the hardware that is on the outside is connected to the part that is inside with the help of wires. Usually, this type is more expensive than the wireless one, but it’s considered to be more reliable. However, it requires professional installation, so you might need to use security services.
- Also, there’s a video intercom. As you can understand from the name, this type of intercom is equipped with a camera on the outside and a screen on the inside. So, you’ll be able to see your visitors without opening the door.
- An audio intercom system is not as common now, as many people prefer ones with cameras. These systems allow you to communicate with your visitors, but you can’t see them.
- The newest type is a smart intercom system that can be controlled through an app on your smartphone.
Benefits of home intercom
- As we have already mentioned, it increases your security level. If it is equipped with a camera, you can always check who is at your front door. Also, you can control the situation remotely if you install a smart home intercom.
- This device can be used inside the house as well to communicate with other residents. For example, if you have someone with limited mobility, you don’t have to go to their room any time they need something.
- An intercom may act as a crime deterrent. Criminals might want to avoid houses with intercoms, especially if they’re equipped with cameras.
- These devices are not really expensive. So, if you can’t afford a security system, a home intercom might be a great option.