What is an outdoor key box and how does it work?
A key lock box is a small, sturdy metal box that stores keys or access cards. Similar safes come in different sizes and feature different locking mechanisms. They are often built into concrete or brick outside the building. To open a key lock box, you need to enter a proper combination. This type of key protection is convenient for realtors, property owners, or even family use.
Imagine the situation – you urgently need to call a technician at a time when you have scheduled a work appointment. Or your relatives unexpectedly announced their arrival, and you are out of the house. That's when a key lock box will come in handy. By using it, you'll be able to guarantee access to certain people without being present at the location.
In order to deal with this type of lockbox, you might need a professional safe locksmith. Read more about other benefits and other features of it in our blog post.
How Secure is a Key lockbox?
- If you have installed key lock boxes, it's essential to change the code after each new user. This way, you know that the code will only be used by the people you need.
- Another disadvantage is that such key lockers are usually located right next to the front door, which means that thieves are convinced that if they break into this locker, they will have access to the entire house.
- In addition, rainy or frosty weather also has an impact, causing locks to rust and freeze.
Types of key lock boxes
- Portable key lock boxes are more flexible. It can be easily moved from place to place whenever the need arises. They also don't require professional installation, making them ideal for short-term use. The disadvantages of similar key lock boxes include a low level of security, as it is quite vulnerable to theft.
- Wall-mounted key lock boxes are superior in terms of security and durability. If you want to find a place where you will keep your house keys for many years, you can take this type into consideration.
Benefits of key lock boxes
- Security. Leaving your keys in a safe is much safer than hiding them under the mat or in the garden.
- Convenience. By installing a key safe, you won't need to carry your keys around, which means you'll be less likely to lose them.
- The ability to let people into your home when you are not there. Now you don't need to be present whenever someone visits you. You can provide access to the safe, and a person you trust will enter your property.
- Emergency access to the house. You can store spare keys in the key safe. Then, even if you lose your key, you can still get inside.
- Budget savings. Using a safe is more economical because you don't need to order a key for each family member.
Where to install a key lock box?
- If you choose a wall-mounted key lock box, it's essential to contact a professional security company for the installation process.
- To reduce the level of danger, it's better not to install the safe right next to the front door but hide it a little from the eyes of criminals.
You may also like
Are hotel safes safe to use
There are a lot of aspects to consider during vacation or business trips. Flights schedule, fuss with luggage, hotel check-ups and many other things that are undoubtedly important. Still, after you are already in your hotel room and have unpacked all your stuff, usually, the first question that arises is – "How to keep my valuables safe in the hotel room?". It's understandable because there were so many stories when valuable assets got stolen from the hotel safes. Not the most pleasant situation, right? However, when you are out of your hotel room, keeping your laptop or photo camera in a safe still remains the most reasonable option. To be honest, hotels frequently make their safes less secure by themselves. This can be explained by placing safes in the obvious locations, which makes them easy to access, or installing them faulty, which makes them easy to be stolen. Some hotel managers also use the master key systems, which also reduces the overall hotel safe's security. Still, to make you less worried about your valuables, Sure Lock & Key took a closer look at the most frequent hotel safes and aspects that make hotel safes more reliable and secure.
What to do if you can't open your safe
A safe is one of the best ways to protect your most valuable items in your house or office. Today, there are so many options available on the market. You can choose between safes of different sizes and materials. They come with various locks – mechanical or electronic. No matter which type of lock you use, there's always a possibility of it malfunctioning or getting worn out. A safe lockout is not as common as a house lockout, of course, but it's definitely just as serious. So, today we want to discuss some of the reasons why your safe wouldn't open. Sure Lock & Key has been dealing with issues like that for years. We want to share our knowledge on how to resolve them with you. So, keep reading to learn more.
Advantages and disadvantages of digital safes
Since technological advances became part of the security industry, the competition between digital devices and standard types of security, such as locks, keys, and now safes, has become a part of an endless comparison, where every small detail counts. There is a lot of information that you might not find when you research digital safes and their locks, so there are many different questions you might have: How do these mechanisms work? What are their weak points? Are they better than traditional safes? There are many different opinions on this topic, but it’s always best to get your answers directly from reliable sources. If you want to find out more about the functions of digital safes and their advantages and disadvantages, it’s a good idea to ask a professional. Sure Lock & Key is a nationwide locksmith company with 35 years of experience. We are ready to provide you with any information about digital safes you might desire.