What is a thumb-turn lock
There are different types of locks out on the market today. It might be quite difficult to differentiate between all of them and decide which one you need. Many people have no idea what a thumb turn lock is, even though most of them probably have it in their house. Let’s find out what thumb turn door locks are and how they function.
This type of lock is suitable for both internal and external use. An interior thumb turn lock can be opened and closed only from the inside of the room. Basically, most of them don’t have any keyhole outside, only a thumb turn inside. Most people use this type of lock for their bathrooms and sometimes bedrooms. Thumb turn locks used for external doors require a key to operate on the outside and a knob on the inside.
When you want to unlock it, you’ll need to rotate the knob counterclockwise and vice versa.
Are thumb turn locks secure
How do you open a thumb lock without the key
- Don’t panic and try looking for your keys again. Maybe you just put them in a different pocket than usual. If not, you may use a spare key if you have one. When both these options don’t work out, it’s time to consider some methods of opening a lock without a key.
- If you use thumb locks, you may try opening them with the help of a release slot. Most of these locks are equipped with one to open the door in case of emergency. However, if it doesn’t work or your lock doesn’t have it, there are other ways to unlock the door.
- You can always try to pick the lock by using a bobby pin, paper clip, a thin wire, etc. However, this is a great option only if you’re fully aware of what you’re doing. If you’re unsure whether you can pick the lock accurately, it’s better not to try it because you can accidentally damage the lock.
- Try using a credit card or a knife if you have one. You’ll need to put it between the door and the strike plate. Move it up and down, changing the angles until you manage to push out the latch.
- There’s also an option to use brutal force, like drilling the lock or breaking it with a hammer. However, it’s a last resort and we strongly recommend not doing it because you’ll severely damage your lock. Instead, you may use emergency locksmith services. A technician will reach you as fast as possible and help you to open the door without breaking your lock.