How To Pick An Antique Door Lock
Modern security systems can provide us with absolute security in our homes. The latest smart locks protect you and your home from break-ins, thefts and other troubles. However, what if your house has an old antique door and you don't want to replace it at all? We understand you. After all, these details help preserve the special charm and create an unusual atmosphere. The problem is that often the previous owners may not have left the keys to the old door, or you may end up being locked in or out of the room because the lock is old and out of order. In this case, it is worth knowing a few rules about how to open an antique door lock without a key and without damaging the door itself. Sure Lock & Key has collected useful tips for opening an old lock using handy items. Let’s start!
How Do You Unlock An Old Door Knob
- Use a screwdriver. To safely remove the doorknob, take a screwdriver and remove the set screw located at the base of the handle. After that, easily turn the handle and remove it from the spindle. Next, you need to remove the spindle and release it from the hole by pulling the handle. Then remove the lock housing by removing the two screws on the front. This will allow you to get to the lock mechanism and dismantle it.
- With a paperclip. In general, doors with door handles of this type are not too difficult to open. Therefore, an ordinary paper clip might help you solve the problem. Take a paperclip, and insert it into the hole inside the handle. Then try to find the reset button inside the mechanism and press it.
- Use a credit card. To do this, take a flexible credit or discount card (please, don’t use anything important because your improvised tool might end up being bent), stand in front of the door and grab the handle. It is necessary to rotate the handle as if you want to open it in the usual way. Then slide the card between the door and the jamb. Next, using rocking movements, try to insert the card next to the latch and free it from the locking part. Continue until the door opens.
- Rekeying. If your door is equipped with an antique skeleton key door lock, then the easiest way to open it without damage is to simply replace the key. If you don't want to waste your time doing this, you can always call our locksmiths and get the problem resolved.
Now, when the issue is fixed and you still want to save the lock since it has a great impact on your house interior, you may need to take some actions to make your antique lock new again. That would be an investment in its longevity and your calmness.
What Is The Skeleton Key Lock
- Warded lock. This type of lock is one of the oldest. This antique door lock mechanism contains fixed obstacles in its mechanism. That lock type was popular at a certain time. Later, other locks were invented that provided a higher level of security.
- Padlock. Invented at the beginning of the 18th century by Swedish engineer Christopher Polhem, this type of lock became the prototype of the modern lock. A padlock was made in the form of a metal lock with several rows of metal discs inside. The mechanism allowed the lock to be opened only when, with the help of a special key, all the discs were aligned in a certain position.
- Lever tumbler lock. This type of lock was invented by the English locksmith Robert Barron in 1778. The specialist designed a lock that used a double-acting toggle mechanism. Thus, the key’s corresponding slots raise the levers inside the lock to a certain height, which allows it to be opened. This mechanism is still used in the manufacture of modern door locks.
- Pin tumbler lock. This type of lock was invented in the middle of the 19th century. Although some sources claim that such locks were used as far back as ancient Egypt, the modern pin lock was designed by Linus Yale and later improved by Linus Yale Jr. Pins of different lengths are placed inside the pin lock, so the mechanism can only be opened with a special key.
When Did Skeleton Keys Stop Being Used
You may also like
How to change a door lock cylinder
A cylinder is the core of the lock and the place where you insert the key. It is also the part that carries out the most important function that your lock was created for – protecting you, your loved ones and your assets. The cylinder has several pins that shift into place when you put a specific key inside. When people have their locks rekeyed, it actually means that they reset their cylinder. Lock cylinder replacement is one of the most popular services we provide. However, still many people don’t know they have this option and go for a whole lock replacement. <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> is always ready to help you. We are therefore now going to provide you with insights on how to change a door lock cylinder. If you prefer to do everything without help from the outside, you may use our suggestions. Let’s dive in!
How To Get Skeleton Key Replacement
Today, a skeleton key is more a symbol of popular culture than an actual key. It symbolizes “access to” something like home, or we can find it as the key to one’s heart, etc. However, vintage lovers may continue to use these locks despite everything and we can understand why. Skeleton keys have a unique vibe, making the house interior interesting and sophisticated. The number of locksmiths who work with these keys is low because the number of people who still have them is low and the number of skeleton keys that still operate is even lower. That’s why it might be hard to find information about the proper maintenance and services regarding Skeleton Keys. <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> is always happy to answer all of your locksmith-related questions. Think of us as your own Locksmith handbook! We invite you to read on and discover a lot of the answers you have been curious about regarding Skeleton Keys.
Making Your New Home Secure
Buying the first house is always an exciting moment. We congratulate you regarding this achievement and wish you all the best! As you know moving into a new home will introduce you to many challenges. One of them may be your new property's safety and security. That’s the part we would be glad to help you with. It’s what we do. <a href="/">Sure Lock & Key</a> is a locksmith company with over 35 years of experience in the Locksmith and Security industry. During this time, we have helped thousands of people to secure their new homes. Now we want to share our knowledge and experience with you. In this blog post, you will find our suggestions on why it’s so important to change locks even before you move in and why your front door lock is the first level of protection. We hope you will find the information we share with you here to be helpful.