How to change the code on an electronic door lock
Keyless entry locks are convenient because you don’t have to worry about losing your key or about keys getting stuck in the lock. This type of lock is perfect for vacation homes used by multiple families or for rentals. Keyless entry locks can’t be picked like traditional locks because they don’t have a keyhole. You can change the combination of the lock whenever you want. You can also make it almost impossible for someone to guess your keyless entry lock code because you can choose up to six digits for the code. If you’re wondering how to change the code on an electronic door lock, you’re in the right place because we’re here to help! Sure Lock & Key has 35 years of experience in the Locksmith industry and has extensive knowledge about everything to do with locks and keys.
How to change the code on a keypad door lock
- First, remove the lock from the door following the manufacturer’s instructions. Most electronic locks come with two screws that need to be unscrewed from the inside of the door.
- Turn the lock over so that its keypad is facing down. Check the back to find the screws that hold the back cover. You may find at least 2 screws, one at the bottom and one at the top. Use a screwdriver to unscrew the screws by inserting it into each hole and turning them counterclockwise.
- At this point, you need to carefully remove the backplate of the lock and set it aside. If you look carefully at each hole in the lock, you will see that some are blue and others are red. Always remember that the red holes match the current code combination.
- Next, take a pair of tweezers and insert them into each red hole. Carefully pull out the metal chips and place them on the table.
- Decide on a new code combination and remove the blue chips from the numbered lock holes corresponding to the desired combination. Replace each blue chip with a red one as you take them out. There is a square cutout on one side of the chip; make sure that this side faces the outside door lock with code as you insert the chip.
- If any hole is left empty, fill it with blue shavings. Also, check the holes to ensure your new combination contains red chips in each numbered hole.
- Now place the back cover on the unit and insert all the screws with a screwdriver. That is the last step. Turn the lock over so that the keypad is facing you. Now press the clear button first and enter the new code combination. If this is done correctly, your digital door lock will unlock as soon as you enter the code.
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
Can you hack an electronic lock?
How to delete all Schlage door lock code
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
How to unlock a keypad door lock without the code
- Contact the manufacturer of your code door lock and ask them for the factory master code. They will tell you what to do and how to reset your coded door lock.
- Use an RFID card to unlock without a code.
- Call your landlord or building manager and ask for the code.
- Try resetting a coded door lock with a factory master code.
- Try hacking it
You may also like
How Do Electronic Door Locks Work
Electronic door locks are an improved and safer way to protect both public and private premises, as they have additional automation features such as remote locking or unlocking. With electronic door locks, you might remotely lock and unlock doors controlling whether they are locked or not. Doesn’t that sound awesome? However, how does this lock type work? Is there something you may need to know before buying one? If you want to learn more about electronic door locks, keep reading! Sure Lock & Key is always ready and happy to give you a hand whether you need an electronic lock installation or just the information!
How to choose commercial door locks?
When starting a new enterprise, the tendency is to try and take care of everything simultaneously. We understand your desire to greet new customers as soon as possible. Of course, there are so many details to keep in mind, missing something would be natural. There certainly are no unimportant details regarding the security of commercial property and if something is missing it could lead to unpleasant consequences. Maybe not today, not tomorrow, nor this month, but someday in the future, you might regret that you didn’t pay more attention to the security aspects of your workplace. Sure Lock & Key Locksmith and Security with over 35 years of experience, is available to assist in any and all capacities. We have just completed work on a new guide that will be useful even for those who have been in business for many years but have now decided to make some renovations. This guide focuses on how to choose the right locks for commercial doors.
Since the original idea of private space flashed upon somebody’s mind, thousands of manufacturers and craftsmen have attempted to give the world the perfect lock. Years of continuous development, improvement and new inventions have brought us different types of door locks all the way to the present day. In this blog post, you will find information about the most popular lock types, their specifications and valuable tips on using and maintaining them. Sure Lock & Key will gladly be your locksmith encyclopedia. A place where you can get all the information you need!