The town of Wolcott is located in the northern part of New Haven County. Originally known as Farmingbury, the town separated from Southington and Waterbury and was incorporated in 1796. The town got its name after the governor Oliver Wolcott, his vote was decisive for its incorporation. Being located far from rivers which could be a source of energy, Wolcott was mainly rural up to the 20th century. The growth of Waterbury had an impact on Wolcott, the town developed a business base and became a suburban residential community.