Hampton was incorporated in 1786. It is located in Windham County in the northeast of Connecticut. The town’s area was settled in 1712 by the people of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, and during its first years, Hampton was positioned as an agricultural community. Two notable locations in the town are Hampton Hill Historic District and Hemlock Glen Industrial Archeological District. They were added to the National Historic District in 1982 and 2007, respectively. The Congregational Church, the second oldest church in the town, is still in use. With a total area of 65 square kilometers, the town’s population is 1,782, according to the 2020 census.