What are exit devices
For any business owner security of their facility is one of the top priorities. Many of them pay a lot of attention to protection from burglars. However, there’s another aspect of security that can’t be neglected. It’s important to prepare your facility for various emergencies that might occur.
For example, one of the most common problems many business owners have to deal with is fire. Unfortunately, more than 100,000 fires occur in commercial buildings annually. So, it’s vital to come up with a fire safety plan. One of the first things to take care of is the emergency exit. It’ll help you avoid human casualties.
Besides getting a fire-rated door, one of the best ways to make an exit easier and more accessible in case of an emergency is to equip your building with exit devices.
Sure Lock & Key is ready to tell you everything we know about various exit devices and what they can offer you. So, keep reading to learn more.
Benefits of exit devices
- First of all, their main benefit is that they significantly increase the safety of your employees. When your building is equipped with those devices, you can be confident that all your workers will be able to easily leave if needed. They’ll definitely help you avoid dealing with some of the consequences of fire.
- Exit devices can enhance the security of your building as well. They are designed to make an exit easier, but at the same time, they restrict entry. Basically, most of the doors equipped with these devices can’t be opened from the outside. So, they not only provide fire protection but protection from intruders as well.
- There are many different exit devices out on the market you can choose from. So, anyone can find one that suits their needs the most. You can choose between panic bars, push bars, touchpads, etc. Mostly, all these devices are really affordable.
- Another advantage of exit devices is that they give you the opportunity to get higher insurance rates.
Types of exit devices
- One of the most commonly used exit devices is a rim exit device. This type of exit device can be used on different kinds of doors. Unlike other devices, the rim exit device is equipped with a latch. Rims come in various sizes and they are composed of different materials. Most of the rim exit devices are fire-resistant.
- Another popular option is a mortise exit device. This type of exit device is considered to be one of the strongest ones. The latch part comes separately and it is installed inside the door frame. This type of device will not only provide easy access in case of an emergency, but also it’ll enhance your security. Mortise exit devices can be used on both single-door and double-doors.
- The last option we want to present you with is a vertical rod exit device. These devices are more suitable for double doors. It is equipped with rods that are attached to your door frame. When you push the panic bar, the rods retract and the door unlocks. There are two types of vertical rods. In the first version of this device, the rods are mounted on the surface and the second option allows you to hide them inside the door.
You may also like
The Alarm System History Guide
Feeling safe and protected is one of Mankind's most essential needs. No wonder we have been so concerned about it throughout history. Today, we’re lucky to have all these magnificent state-of-the-art security technologies, but our grandparents didn’t. How has the security industry developed so greatly during the last few decades? What has changed it and shaped it? This Sure Lock & Key short blog will give you a quick understanding of home security, its importance, and why shortly it will become even more important and definitely more advanced!
Safe Fire Ratings Importance
Notes like “UL”, “JIS”, “30 min” for the new safe you’re checking might be not helpful at all if you have no clue what they mean. Let’s make all these safe fire ratings clear so you will be able to choose the safe perfect for you. Sure Lock & Key is always here to help whenever you need professional advice or safe installation itself!
How to choose commercial door locks
When starting a new enterprise, the tendency is to try and take care of everything simultaneously. We understand your desire to greet new customers as soon as possible. Of course, there are so many details to keep in mind, missing something would be natural. There certainly are no unimportant details regarding the security of commercial property and if something is missing it could lead to unpleasant consequences. Maybe not today, not tomorrow, nor this month, but someday in the future, you might regret that you didn’t pay more attention to the security aspects of your workplace. Sure Lock & Key Locksmith and Security with over 35 years of experience, is available to assist in any and all capacities. We have just completed work on a new guide that will be useful even for those who have been in business for many years but have now decided to make some renovations. This guide focuses on how to choose the right locks for commercial doors.