Key won’t turn in the car: how to find and fix the problem
There are many reasons why your keys might get stuck in the ignition. Either something is wrong with the ignition or with the key itself. Good old mechanical keys may be resistant to water, heat, or electricity but are vulnerable to physical damage. Sometimes we don’t realize that the key is damaged or broken until we try to use it. However, it can be easily replaced. If there is a problem with the ignition, people might need a lot of time to try and fix it, especially if they don’t have the required knowledge and skills. Topical guides and articles might give you the required information, but there is no guarantee that without prior knowledge and experience, you can actually fix it. That’s when Sure Lock & Key is ready to assist you. As a coast-to-coast company with extensive experience and an excellent reputation, we assist our customers with services and valuable information hundreds of times, every day
Why won't the key turn in the ignition
- Wafers are damaged. There is a difference between the standard lock and the ignition car lock. The first one consists of cylindrical pins, while the second one consists of wafers. The wafer splits down the center, so you can slide the key in. There are two types of these details – one piece or two pieces. Two-piece wafers, also known as split wafers, can easily get jammed in the cylinder. Both mechanisms can break over time.
- The key is damaged. A broken key in the ignition is one of the most common problems car owners may face. When you’re turning it in the ignition, the key puts pressure on the wafers to put them in the correct position. Over time, the key gets worn out. When you look at a new key, you can see sharp, crisp edges, while the old one has soft and rounded edges. This happens because of thousands and thousands of turns, and one day you could simply find your car key stuck in the ignition.
- The steering wheel locking mechanism is activated. This feature helps drivers prevent theft. However, this mechanism also blocks the key in the ignition, so you can’t remove it. Some people may not be aware of this function. So, ensure that you get the key out of the ignition carefully, and only then lock the steering wheel if needed.
- Problems with the ignition cylinder. This issue could appear if you keep too many items on the key holder, so they will sway back and forth, damaging the key and the cylinder. It could be problematic if you have your keys locked in the ignition when you’re in a rush. The best option here is to call an automotive locksmith. As a trained and skilled professional, the locksmith will be able to solve the problem for you painlessly and quickly.
Need more information?
Call us to get a free quote
What to do when the key won’t turn the ignition
- Check the battery. You might not believe it, but one of the reasons why the key won’t turn is because the battery is dead. If you have an advanced ignition system, it will stop the key from turning when the battery runs out of power. Some vehicles have unique signals that inform drivers about low battery levels.
- Get yourself a spare key. Your main key might be damaged, and you may not even see it (a small scratch or a crack). You will only find out about this problem while trying to activate the ignition. So, in a situation like that, you may need a car key replacement.
- Jiggle the key if it is stuck. Do it carefully. You don’t want to break it, so try not to make any sudden movements. Turn it clockwise and then counterclockwise. It may not work immediately, so repeat the process a few times, slowly and carefully.
- Try the silicon-based spray. That’s another way to get out the keys locked in the ignition. This may clean the dirt inside the ignition and help you get the key out. Avoid oil-based elements as they will only complicate the situation.
Can a locksmith fix an ignition switch
You may also like
Getting a new car key made: useful information and life hacks
Are you in an emergency locksmith situation? Lost your car key and have no spare? Let us suggest the most logical options you have in order to fix the situation!
What To Do If Your Car Key Doesn’t Work In The Ignition
At least once, every car owner has experienced difficulties when turning the key in the ignition. It may be just a temporary issue, it may be because of the lack of strength you put in, etc. But very often it means that you need professional help. Don’t worry. Ignition issues are pretty common, and here is what you need to know in such a situation!
Car Key Types. What Is The Difference
There’s a huge number of car keys nowadays. And there is an unspoken competition between car keys. Which of them is truly the best? Which one gives you security the owners of the other car keys can only dream of? Sure Lock & Key provides automotive locksmith services for more than 35 years, so we’re no stranger to any car key type that exists. And here we’re sharing this knowledge with you. Keep reading!