The city of Delray Beach is located in Palm Beach County, in the south part of the state. Originally, the area to become Delray was inhabited by native tribes of Jaega and Seminole. In the 1870s, the Government built a shelter for shipwrecked sailors. A few decades later, Republican Congressman William S. Linton bought a tract of land to create a farming community named after Linton in 1896. Rapid economic growth stopped in 1898, because a devastating freeze destroyed the harvest. To start a new age of growth the community changed its name to Delray. In 1911 it was incorporated as a town, and the first tomato and pineapple farms were built. Today, the city is famous for its location between Boynton Beach and Boca Raton, which attracts many tourists.