About New Haven
Prior to the arrival of European settlers, the area later to become New Haven was inhabited by the Quinnipiac native tribe. In April 1638, a group of five hundred Puritans who had left Massachusetts Bay Colony sailed into the harbor, hoping to establish a theological community and to exploit the harbor’s potential to become a viable port. The Quinnipiac tribe, who were under attack from the neighboring Pequot tribe, sold the land to the Puritans in return for protection.
By 1640, a theocratic government and a nine-square grid plan were established for the town, and it was formally named ‘Newhaven’, becoming the headquarters of the New Haven Colony, and becoming part of the Connecticut Colony in 1664. It was made the co-capital of Connecticut in 1701 and continued to be so until 1873.
Formally incorporated as a city in 1784.
New Haven can boast of pioneering many firsts, both for the U.S. and the wider world; the most notable of which being;
- The first planned city in America (1638)
- Yale student David Bushnell invented the first submarine (1776)
- John Fitch builds the first steamboat (1787)
- Eli Whitney invents the first cotton gin (1793)
- Samuel Colt invented the first revolver pistol at Whitney’s factory (1836)
- Philos P Blake patents the first corkscrew (1860)
- Local confectioner George C Smith invents the first lollipop (1892)
- Louis Lassen, the owner of local eatery Louis’ Lunch, invents both the hamburger and steak sandwich.
Clearly, New Haven is a place where innovation, culture, and commerce thrive; a vibrant and energetic, and confident city on the move and on the up. We here at Sure Lock & Key are happy and proud to operate is such a dynamic place as this, and to contribute to the wider community as a whole by providing the good people of New Haven and the surrounding area, and indeed across the great state of Connecticut, with the very best locksmith services imaginable in the current marketplace, bar none.