The town was originally a part of Fairfield and got incorporated as a separate town in 1787. The area is famous for retaining traces of human use from about 5,000 years ago. Today the main part of the town is located within The Lucius Pond Ordway Devil's Den Preserve. Being located on the Aspetuck and Saugatuck Rivers, the town had a huge industrial potential. Early settlers were involved in lumbering and charcoal production and indeed, in time, became a large industrial center. Nowadays, the town is mostly a bedroom community for New York being the closest Connecticut town to NYC.