At the time that colonials started receiving grants for land within the boundaries of what is now Redding, native American trails crossed portions of the area, including Berkshire Path running north-south.
In 1639, Roger Ludlow purchased land from native American tribes to establish Fairfield. In 1668, Fairfield purchased another tract of land then called Northfield, comprising land now part of Redding.
Varying reports dispute the identity of the first colonial landholder in that area, but some records indicate that Richard Osborn obtained land in 1671, whilst Nathan Gold (who went on to serve as Deputy Governor of Connecticut between 1708 and 1723) received a land grant for 800 acres in 1681.
From the time it formed, the town was known as Reading; which could have been named after the town in Berkshire, England, but more likely was named in honor of John Read, an early major landholder who helped negotiate the demarcation lines of the town and in getting it recognised as a Parish in 1729. Soon after incorporation, the name was changed to Redding to better reflect pronunciation.
In 1844, the spelling of the town name became official when Congress granted them their own Post Office in 1809.
Names are not only important as points of reference but also as an indicator of virtue; either in honor of an upstanding citizen of note or a statement of values. It’s also important for any entity to work hard and have a good reputation that gives the name cache and respectability in the community. We at SURE LOCK & KEY believe we are doing exactly that by giving not only the good people of Redding and surrounding area, but also the people of the great state of Connecticut, the very best imaginable local residential, commercial, and automotive locksmith service in the current marketplace, bar none.