Incorporated in 1822, Chaplin was composed of the parts of Hampton, Mansfield, and Windham. The town was named after Deacon Benjamin Chaplin in 1809. The first settlers developed silk manufacturing and other small industries along the Natchaug River.
Today, it’s a tiny and cozy town known as Quinebaug and Shetucket Rivers Valley National Heritage Corridor. An alternative name is The Last Green Valley. People who want to know more about the town’s history can visit the Chaplin local historical museum. The town’s total area is 19.6 square miles, and its population was 2,151, according to the 2020 census.